As I sit here this morning, I am still waiting to hear from a couple of businesses for various reasons. For instance, waiting to hear from potential contractors regarding doing some work on my house and an application I sent regarding a freelance job. I have discovered that the business world has become a lot like the dating world, and not in a good way.
After I sent off the email or left the message, I diligently check my email and phone for messages multiple times a day. Okay. Let's be honest. I check them obsessively. Then, I wonder why I haven't heard back. Did they not get the email? Did I sent it to the wrong address by mistake? Are they just not interested? Thousands of thoughts run through my mind, most of them negative. Hope soon goes from soaring in the clouds to crashing in the desert.
I could have just been describing a new love interest, but I'm actually talking about job applications. How hard is it to send an email saying "we have received your application"? Better yet, how hard is it to send a form email that says "we are just not that into you"? If the contractor doesn't want to do the job, he should just say that he is too busy to take on new work. That is polite and professional.
Unfortunately, we live in a world of passive aggressive people so hesitant to offend that they refuse to do anything. It may hurt to hear that someone is not interested in you, personally or professionally, but it hurts less than running around wondering for months on end when the other party has known it all along.
Then, I wonder if I often do that myself. How often has God tried to speak to me, and I have pretended like I didn't get the message? Somehow we have it in our minds that by not responding we have left the situation open. But, in the end by not responding we have made a choice. We have, in essence, refused because we did not accept. Just like a gift does not become yours until you receive it, an opportunity is refused if you do not accept it.
I stand in the hallway again, trying to decide which door to open, but if I don't eventually try a door, any door, I will go nowhere. The opportunity will be missed as if it never existed if I don't make a move. So, I must keep trying even if the other parties refuse to respond because I am only responsible for my actions, not theirs.
I'll never know which doors are locked until I knock or try the handle, so...which door shall I try first....
No comments:
Post a Comment