Monday, October 31, 2016

Procrastination



Procrastination is the art of putting off until tomorrow what you don’t want to do today by doing something less distasteful. Usually, people put things off by checking their e-mail or Facebook. When faced with a deadline, I often procrastinate by doing things that make me feel productive while not actually doing the thing I dread. For instance, when faced with grading week 2 of my online class, I cleaned out my refrigerator and took out the trash and washed up the mess. I have been putting off cleaning out the refrigerator for over a week because I hate doing it, but suddenly that seemed superior to grading. I often get a lot of mundane house cleaning done on days that grades are due. I take a “break” from grading to wash dishes or clean out the refrigerator.

One Friday, the day on which grades are due, I had an epiphany of sorts…a light bulb moment if you will. God knows everything. God knows I do this. Is it possible that God sends things my way, things I don’t like or want, in order to motivate me to do something He has already given me to do? For instance, did he make my “day” job so miserable that the uncertainty of becoming a full-time writer seemed more attractive? 

If this is true, then couldn’t I make my life a lot easier by not procrastinating? Wouldn’t I be better off finding ways to motivate myself, like the refrigerator/grading scenario, before God decides to get involved?

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment