Friday, September 30, 2016

Wait Patiently



I decided to resurrect my blog, and I was looking through it and realized that my blogs from my old web page never made it to my new blog. This one is still as true today as 3 years ago. It's a lesson I have to be reminded of on a regular basis.


I really hate those two words sometimes. I don’t know how many times I have prayed and gotten this as a response. Today’s scripture was Psalm 40, which starts out with - you guessed it - “wait patiently.” Deep sigh. The other word for the day was to put away your worries, which goes along with verses 3-4 of Psalm 40:

I waited patiently for the Lord; and he inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.
And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord.

I need to put my trust in him, which means I shouldn’t worry but wait patiently. Easy words to say, but they are difficult to follow. Although, it really shouldn’t be. Just yesterday I went to get Saturday’s mail out of the mailbox and was pleasantly surprised to find my $40 Visa rebate card had already arrived and earlier on Saturday I had gotten $20 for some knitting I had done. Despite the fact that I recently lost my “day” job, I haven’t missed a paycheck. I may be scrambling a little to pay some bills on time, but I keep finding new sources of income. Trying out my hand at being a freelance writer is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time, but I never had the courage to really try. Now, I’m sort of forced into it by circumstances, circumstances engineered by God. During the course of the last six months, several people have read my work or heard me telling a story and told me that I should be a writer. I already knew that, but I didn’t have the courage to do so.

Last week’s words were “be of good courage” and “work.” This week “trust in God” and “wait patiently.” I think the message is getting pretty clear. Unlike Belshazzar, I don’t think I want to wait for the writing on the wall (Daniel 5).

UPDATE 9/30/16: I recently had a class cancelled, which meant 6 weeks with half a paycheck just at a time I was finally catching up with bills. I waited as patiently as I could and tried not to panic. I have a part-time job on-line (6 hrs a week) that suddenly asked for people to take more shifts. I went from 6 hrs to 20 hrs a week, and then the school offered me another course that starts in 3 weeks and $100 for setting up the course that was cancelled. I'm not going to be short any money and in 3 weeks, I'll be getting a little extra to pay for some much needed repairs. 

Panic should no longer be an option. God will supply all of my needs. I just have to remember that before I press the panic button.

No comments:

Post a Comment