Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Why isn't there a hallway to Narnia?

I've often heard about the one door closing and another one opening. I'm actually in a place right now where I would like to see another door opening, only I find myself in a hallway full of closed doors. It reminds me of the moving staircases from Harry Potter or the episode from Warehouse 13 where the hotel hallways keep rearranging. The end result is that you keep going down the hallway, looking for a way out but you never find one.

In C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia, the entrance to Narnia is different every time. What I'm wondering is why wasn't there a hallway to Narnia? Hallways are by nature supposed to go somewhere, to connect things. However, several years ago I found myself in a metaphorical hallway, waiting for a door to magically open into a wonderful new adventure. I'm still waiting. Hallways weren't meant for loitering. They are claustrophobic and devoid of any views or fresh air. Right now I'd take a window, but windows in hallways are a rare thing, usually only at the end of the hallway.

I guess the only way out of the hallway is to write myself out. Like the song "Unwritten," I have to write my own story. But let it be known that I'm not against the idea of deus ex machina. I am more than happy to have God sending a helping hand from Heaven above. In fact, I'd much prefer it if he reached down and opened a door to Narnia...to anywhere...anywhere but another hallway.

No comments:

Post a Comment